Article provided by: myhealth.ca
My Health is a leading treatment facility for physiotherapy, chiropractic care, massage therapy, and acupuncture. Whether it is an arch or heel pain or a throbbing knee ache, we can improve your quality of life with customized orthotics in Mississauga.
Types of orthotics for foot
Orthotics are custom-designed shoe inserts that help overcome a variety of foot problems and back pain issues. The two primary kinds of foot orthotics include:
- Rigid orthotics – It is also known as “functional orthotics,” and we make it out of plastic or carbon fiber. These kinds are best for walking shoes and dress shoes as they come with closed toes and low heels. This type of orthotic helps reduce foot aches and strains and helps alleviate pain in the legs, lower back, and thighs.
- Soft orthotics – These are also known as “accommodative orthotics,” and we make these out of soft compression materials. This type of orthotics provides cushioning and takes the pressure off in patients suffering from conditions like plantar fasciitis or diabetic foot ulcers. It also helps overcome the uncomfortable or sore spots on foot.
If you are into sporting activities, we also design special orthotics such as ski boots and ice skates. Besides, we also offer our clients with options like heat molding orthotics and insoles, which are a less expensive alternative to custom-made orthotics.
Orthotics for lower body injuries
Lower limb overuse injuries can be a common concern in individuals who participate in regular physical exercise or activities. Long-distance runners can often suffer from lower limb overuse injuries. Orthotics can reduce the strain on foot in athletes and physically active individuals.
It can also alleviate pain and inflammation in patients with conditions like medial tibial stress syndrome, patellofemoral pain, plantar fasciitis, etc. With foot orthotics, you can eliminate the lost training time and financial costs, which can be a big problem with lower limb injuries.
Who “needs” orthotics?
Patients suffering from certain types of ailments may require orthotics more than others. Our custom-made orthotics in Mississauga can help improve the quality of life in patients suffering from the following conditions:
- Plantar fasciitis – It is a painful inflammation that occurs on the sole. Patients with plantar fasciitis wake up with a throbbing pain when they wake up every morning.
- Arthritis – It is a condition that affects the joints of the foot, and patients experience swelling and tenderness of one or more of the joints.
- Diabetes – Patients suffering from diabetes can suffer from poor blood circulation in the feet, requiring them to wear custom custom-built footwear.
- Metatarsalgia – It is a foot disorder that occurs at the ball of the foot and is extremely painful. It causes inflammation in the bones and joints of the foot.
Furthermore, orthotics can also help reduce pain and inflammation in patients suffering from patellofemoral knee pain, Achilles tendonitis, and bunions. Speak to one of us at My Health today to schedule a consultation with our experienced physiotherapist. We manufacture custom orthotics in Mississauga to provide you with the highest level of comfort and to improve balance in your feet.